Monday, June 27, 2011

Korea: Land of the Morning-Noon-Evening Rain

I just returned from a week-long trip to Korea. One of my cousins got married and the whole American side of the family descended upon Seoul for some sightseeing and family bonding. It was a great trip despite the fact that it monsooned for 5 days, preventing me from getting much shopping done.

This was also a special trip because it was the 10 year anniversary of when I first went to live in Korea after college. I taught for one year at an all boys middle school (yikes!) and then spent a second year working as a coordinator for all the other American English teachers in my program. I can't believe it's been ten years! I did visit about 5 years ago, but a lot has changed even since then. I almost couldn't find my old apartment because about a dozen new apartment complexes had sprouted up around it. Korea changes so rapidly - technologically, economically, culturally, socially, shopping-ly. They now have everything we have, plus about 800x more varieties of kimchi. Seoul makes New York City look like a small town and Boston like a quaint country village. Here's a classic example of the contrast between old and new in the heart of Seoul:


Duksugeung Palace

It was a great trip and I got everything done that I wanted to despite the rain - saw my grandmother, ate my favorite foods, went to the spa, sang at noraebang (karaoke room), bought some socks. Here are just a few random highlights:


Cat Cafe - The barista and proprietor?
Yes, this is exactly what it sounds like. A cafe where you drink coffee and play with cats! Amazing! 
Pat bing soo (shaved ice with red bean)

This is just one of many pat bing soo I tasted in Korea. Look at the fat juicy dduk. Mmmmm.


Sparkly wedding

Alas, there was no dry ice at this Korean wedding, like one I went to when I was living here. That wedding also had lit sparklers as the bride and groom exited the chapel!


Wha???
Some lovely artwork for sale on the streets of Itaewon - the "foreigner" neighborhood of Seoul known for shopping deals and black market goods.

Pojagi class
And I did manage to fit some crafting in. We took a class in making pojagi - traditional wrapping cloths. I have been interested in this sewing craft for a while, mainly for the beautiful linens and silk they use. I'll post a pic of the finished project once I've put on the finishing touches.

It was a long flight home and it will be back to reality tomorrow. But I will make sure to go back much sooner next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment