Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekend of Feasts!

After last week's trials and tribulations, I decided to put it all behind me with two impromptu weekend feasts. On Friday, I was bemoaning the fact that it is almost the end of summer and I had yet to have any lobster. I planned on cooking myself a lobster dinner (even if you're going to eat alone, that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat in style!) but then invited my temp-roomie, his Russian friend and mother, and an old friend from high school that I ran into. Once the eclectic guest list was set, I stopped by the farmer's market during lunch and picked up some corn, potatoes, and a strawberry-rhubarb pie! Charles picked up the lobsters for a steal in Chinatown. And Vlad brought Dark & Stormy's. Here's our feast!

Cooking a lobster dinner basically involves just boiling things - the corn, the potatoes, the crustaceans. All you need is a couple big pots, some tongs, and a strong stomach for mass lobster murder. Eating the lobsters definitely involves more effort!
Thank you for your delicious sacrifice!


Saturday night I cooked a Korean feast for the Greater Boston Karaoke Club (aka my singing college buddies). Our co-President is close to her due date, but we figured we would squeeze in one last meeting and make it easier on her by having it at home. As usual, I went a little overboard with the menu. We had bulgogi (redubbed "white man's delight" by John), LA kalbi (Korean ribs), broiled jogi (yellow croaker, a salty fish), jabchae (vermicelli noodles), doenjang jjigae (fermented bean paste soup), and side dishes galore.

The bulgogi and kalbi were both pre-marinated from H-Mart, but I kicked them up with some extra onions and spices. This was my first time making jabchae since Molly used to always make the jabchae when we ate Korean food, but it wasn't so hard. It's a little labor intensive, but worth the effort! I used this recipe as a guide. I think I did pretty well, although I should really learn how to julienne carrots better!

My favorite Korean dish to make is doenjang jjigae (fermented soy bean paste soup). It is similar to miso soup, but more flavorful than the Japanese version. When I lived in Korea, I developed a real love for this hearty and pungent stew. My recipe probably isn't very authentic, but it is thick and stinky just the way I like it!

Mimi's Gyopo Doenjang Jjigae
2 oz. sam gyup ssal (Korean pork belly)
1 small onion, cubed
1 potato, cubed (I used small new potatoes leftover from the farmer's market)
1 small zucchini, cubed
1 chili pepper, sliced into rounds (green or red)
1 scallion, sliced
firm tofu, about half a block or whatever you can fit in the bowl
2 tablespoons Korean soy bean paste (doenjang)
1 teaspoon Korean chili pepper flakes (gochugaru)
1 teaspoon minced garlic

Saute the pork in a medium pot, preferably a Korean stone pot. Add the onion and garlic. Add doenjang paste, chili pepper flakes, and about 2 cups of water, to fill pot about 2/3 way (remember to leave room for the veggies and tofu!). Make sure the paste is dissolved evenly, bring to a boil. Add potatoes and bring to a boil again. Add zucchini and chilis and let simmer till potatoes are thoroughly cooked. A few minutes before serving, add tofu and green onion.





No comments:

Post a Comment