Friday, August 12, 2011

NOT the Best Week Ever

It hasn't been a very good week in Mimi's DIY-Land. My poor Puppy hasn't been feeling well, my basement flooded, I nicked my car's front bumper (and by "nicked", I mean, I wrenched it off), and got a scope put up my nose - ouch! It was almost ridiculous how crappy my week was, that I almost didn't freak out. Almost.

I'm sure next week will be the second "worstest" week as I try to deal with contractors, mechanics, and the expensive bills they come with. But my brother and my friends have really stepped up to help out, so it's nice to know that I'm not alone. And as bad as it's been, it forces me appreciate the good things I have in my life. So here are the GOOD things that have happened this week.

1. Massachusetts Tax Free Weekend
It's a good thing this weekend is tax-free weekend in MA. Even though I will have to spend $9 zillion on vets, car repair, and basement waterproofing, at least I can do some tax-free shopping.


2. Sick Doggy + Ridiculous Doggy Cape
Poor Puppy has a rash on his back. It actually doesn't seem to bother him, but it bothered me, so I brought him to the vet. She ended up shaving his whole back, leaving him naked and leperous-looking. I felt so bad for the poor guy, that I cut up an old t-shirt and made him a cape to cover up his back. I'm sure that pissed him off even more, but look how cute!
He looks like those kids at the pool that have to wear t-shirts because their skin burns so badly. Awwww!

3. Scrabble Magnets
I actually made these last week, but showing them off on the blog is a good thing to happen this week! After my brother moved out all his stuff, I was left with zero fridge magnets. This doesn't sound like a huge deal, but it was actually quite inconvenient. Where to hang my vistor's parking pass? or detailed baby shower planning Excel sheets? or Groupons that I will never redeem?

My solution was to take some old Scrabble tiles (purchased on eBay for just a few bucks). Then with a little Super Glue, I glued on magnets and voila! Educational and fun fridge magnets!


The Michelle Obama magnet is motivation to do push-ups and stay away from the fridge, but the Scrabble magnets are more fun to play with. Magnets, magnets everywhere!

4. Stuffed Cabbage Rolls with Sausage
I love when I discover a new recipe to use up my farm share veggies with. I typically am not a big cabbage fan, but we got some in the farm share last week and I had to use it up. My trick to farm share eating is if you don't particularly like a vegetable, a.) foist it upon someone else or b.) cook it with sausage or bacon! Here is my recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls.

1 head of cabbage, remove outer leaves and as much of core as possible
1 package of sweet Italian sausage removed from casings
2 cups cooked rice (I used brown basmati rice)
1 onion, diced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 can of diced tomatoes
salt, pepper, oregano, fresh herbs

Bring a large pot of water to boil and submerge the entire cabbage head for about 10 minutes. The leaves should be tender and easily removed. Drain and rinse the leaves in cold water and set aside.

Cook the sausage meat, drain oil, and set aside. Saute onions and mushrooms until tender. Combine in a bowl with cooked rice, salt, pepper, and oregano to taste. (You won't need much salt since the sausage will be pretty flavorful).


Lay a cabbage leaf with the spine side down and, depending on the size of the leaf, add 1-2 tbsp of the meat and rice mixture. Roll like an egg roll, burrito, or wrapped food of your culture. I fold the bottom once, fold in the sides, and roll up. Place in a lightly greased baking dish. Cover the rolls with diced tomatoes. (I also added the last of my fresh herbs to the sauce). Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. enjoy!


.
I feel better already! Now the weekend is just a few hours away. The only thing that will break this weekend is the mic that I rock out on at karaoke tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment