Sunday, February 22, 2015

Househunt Week 2

I had another fun weekend of house hunting. Saturday I found a cute, renovated 3-bedroom in an up-and-coming neighborhood in Mt. Washington, which borders Highland Park. It was 80% perfect, which was good but not quite good enough. The common space had an awkward layout which couldn't really accommodate a living room and dining space well, and the closets were small. But I was really excited by the outdoor space which was completely bare. I could envision my little grill and dining patio, a vegetable patch, some fruit trees and a hammock, and xeriscape drought resistant plants...But I think I can find something better which already has most of that stuff in place. And a place for my tv.

Today I looked at some condos around Culver City, which is on the West side of Los Angeles. One of the units was really nice, but it was in a huge complex which I didn't love. I live in a big complex now, and while it's nice to feel kind of cloistered, it has its inconveniences as well. Plus, I really don't like carpet and all the places I saw on the West side had beige carpet. 

I also like the idea of living in an area which is in transition. The last few places I've lived went through major development while I was there - Red Hook Brooklyn and East Cambridge. It's exciting to see a neighborhood changing before your eyes, and NELA feels like a real community. Yesterday there was a street fair on York Street with local artists and vendors, kids and dogs running around, etc. What's not to love?


Chalk art

Yarn bombed bike rack

No comments:

Post a Comment