Saturday, February 28, 2015

Improv Initiation at UCB, Homemade Bone Broth, and Avocado Chicken Salad

Today I did my first improv performance as the final act of a beginner class I've been taking at the Upright Citizens Brigade. UCB was started in NY by Matt Besser, Amy Poehler, Ian Roberts and Matt Walsh. They have 2 theaters in LA, one of them in a brand new state-of-the-art facility. It has been a great experience, although I've learned I'm not that fast of a verbal thinker on my feet. But I wasn't the least funny person in the class, so that's good. UCB takes a very theory-based approach to teaching improv, plus they give you free entry to shows as a student. Although at $5-10 a ticket, it won't break the bank.

I think I'll probably continue with more classes at UCB, or one of the other major comedy institutions here in LA. But I don't think the casting agents will be banging down my door anytime soon.

As for my Whole 30 progress? Today I invented a pretty cool recipe for lunch, and I made some nourishing bone broth for my cold. For those of you new to the bone broth craze, check out this article from the NY Times. Normally I don't go crazy for fads, but there's nothing I love more than soup so this one was right up my alley. Also as someone more into savories than sweets, it was a nice break from the endless juices of LA.

For my bone broth, I roasted a small cornish hen and 4 marrow bones. For the hen, I mixed some ghee, lemon zest, orange zest, ginger, salt and pepper, and rubbed it all over the little bird. I also put half a lemon and a chunk of ginger inside the cavity of the hen. Then I roasted it in the oven at 450 for about 25 minutes, flipped it over, and roasted it another 25 minutes until it was 165 degrees. After it cooled down, I stripped off all the meat and set it aside for later.


The bone marrow was even easier. Rinse the bones, pat them dry, sprinkle with a little salt, and roast them in the oven for about 15 minutes. I ate the marrow from one of the bones and I swear, my throat felt better immediately. It doesn't look like much but it was delicious!



When all the roasting was done, I threw the meat and bones in my favorite dutch oven. I added 1 leek, a bunch of garlic cloves, 2 carrots, 4 stalks of celery, and about an inch long piece of ginger. I also added 1 tsp of cider vinegar and 2 tbsp of Red Boat fish sauce (paloe friendly). I let that baby simmer for a long time - about 9 hours - until it was rich and golden.



And here's my lunch recipe! Avocado Chicken Salad on Mini Portobello "buns"

I love making chicken salad with leftover roasted chicken, but I didn't have any paleo-friendly mayo. But I had some perfectly ripe avocados - another perk to living in California! So I basically made a "rustic guacamole" with ingredients on hand, mixed in the chicken, and voila! Paleo friendly chicken salad.

Ingredients
Shredded roasted chicken
1 Avocado, mashed
1 shallot
1 clove garlic
lime juice
cayenne pepper
jalapeno (if you have it, I didn't)


Preheat the oven to 350. Mince the shallot and garlic. Mix it with the avocado, lime juice, pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Let chill in fridge for a few minutes while you prepare the mushroom buns. Hollow out the portobellos and brush them with melted ghee, coconut oil, or other Whole 30 friendly fat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for about 8 minutes, flip over for another 5 minutes.

Mix the roasted chicken and avocado mash. Scoop into the mushroom caps and enjoy!


Whole 30 Day 3
Breakfast - kale, pineapple smoothie
Bone broth
Lunch - Avocado chicken salad on portobello buns
Dinner - Himalayan sherpa stew at Tara's Kitchen. This is a tomato-based vegetable soup with chicken and yummy spices. I dream of it on cold(ish) days.





No comments:

Post a Comment