Sunday, March 1, 2015

Chawanmushi, Paleo Moussaka, and Material Girls

I love weekends because I can just cook up a storm. Eating paleo requires a good amount of work, but it is totally worth it. Plus there are so many great free recipes online that you're never at a loss for inspiration or guidance.

For breakfast, I made a Japanese chawanmushi - a savory egg custard filled with whatever meats or veggies you want. I won't post the recipe since Nom Nom Paleo does such a good step-by-step tutorial here. It seems a little complicated, but you're basically just boiling water, so no sweat. I filled mine with leftover roast chicken, portobello mushrooms, and kale. Somehow the kale all ended up at the bottom. The dish is already pretty paleo, except for substituting soy sauce with gluten-free coconut aminos.


For lunch, I just had leftover avocado chicken salad. But for dinner, I made my new favorite dish - paleo moussaka!! Moussaka is like a Greek shepherd's pie with eggplant, ground lamb or beef, a tomato sauce, and a bechemel sauce. I used this recipe from The Iron You and the cauliflower bechemel sauce she makes is amazing. I halved the recipe because I had only 1 eggplant, but I wish I had tripled the cauliflower sauce. It looks kind of thin and runny before you put it in the oven, but somehow it puffs into this fluffy, polenta-like consistency. And even though I used coconut milk, you really didn't notice the coconut flavor. Seriously it was so good! Nostimo! (That's "delicious", in Greek).


And since I had a Greek-themed dinner, I'd like to send a shout-out to my favorite Greek-American friend, Elaine Dimopoulos, who has a book, "Material Girls", coming out in May! They just released a trailer for her book (which I didn't even know was a thing) and I am so excited to throw her a fabulous LA book tour party. The book is amazing, so I highly recommend pre-ordering it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment