Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Lamb and Orange stew - Day 7

Yesterday was a leftovers day, and today I made new leftovers. I had lamb steaks in the freezer, and there's nothing better than a spiced lamb stew. I've made a few different versions in the past, my favorites using some type of dried fruit. I googled around and saw some versions using orange which I thought I was weird, but I got a ton of oranges in my farmshare so I thought I'd give it a try. Here's the recipe.

2 pounds of lamb meat, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp paprika
1 tbsp paleo friendly fat (I used coconut oil)
1 tbsp minced ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 chopped onion
3 celery stalks, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
2 cups stock (beef, chicken, or veggie)
1 blood orange

Mix the spices in a bowl, add lamb and toss to coat. Heat the oil in a large heavy pot, add lamb to pot and saute until brown on all sides. Work in batches so you don't crowd the pan. Remove the meat, add a smidge more oil, then saute onion, garlic, and ginger till onions are translucent. Add back in the meat, remaining vegetables, and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until lamb is tender, about 45 minutes-hour. The longer you simmer, the more tender and flavorful the stew.

Zest the orange peel and set aside. Cut remaining peel and white pith from the oranges and coarsely chop remaining fruit. Add oranges and zest to the stew. Cover and smiier another 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

I don't have a crockpot, otherwise I would recommend using one. I make a lot of soups and stews. Maybe I should get one!

Bubble, bubble, not too much toil or trouble for this tasty stew

No comments:

Post a Comment