Saturday, March 7, 2015

Silver Lake Saturdays - Whole 30 Day 10 - Butternut Squash, Parsnip, Leek, Cauliflower "Gratin"

Today was my favorite kind of day. A sunny Silver Lake Saturday when I don't have to do anything, but do just the things I feel like doing. Which today was going to workout at the Silver Lake Reservoir with LA Beach Fit, a trip to the Silver Lake farmers market, a tasty new recipe, and cruising the Sunset Strip with Puppy.

I haven't been to the market (or workout) for a few weeks because I was sick and it's been "cold" (50s-60s). So I think I went a little crazy. In addition to the usual bounty of fruits and vegetables, I stocked up on local sustainable fish, Greek treats (olive spread, garlic spread, and sundried tomatoes), and some cute non-edibles.

Silver Lake Market

Foxy Tote Bag by Berdoo T-shirt

Fun dog print on a couch by Upcycled

After my shopping spree, I went home and threw together this delicious Whole 30 friendly roasted veggie "gratin".

Butternut Squash, Parsnip, Leek "Gratin" with Cauliflower Bechamel
Ingredients

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed in 1" pieces
1 large parsnip, sliced in rounds about 1/2" thick
1 leek, sliced in rounds (cleaned well)
1 tbsp Whole 30 friendly cooking fat (ghee, coconut oil, etc.)
1/2 head cauliflower florets
1/2 cup coconut milk, or other Whole 30 friendly "milk"
1 garlic clove
3 eggs
salt and pepper
other herbs as desired

This is basically the same cauliflower bechamel sauce that I used in my Paleo Moussaka - I love it that much!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss your chopped up squash, parsnips, and leeks in coconut oil, salt, pepper, and herbs. Roast in the oven for about 15-20 minutes as you prepare the cauliflower bechamel gratin sauce.

Add cauliflower, coconut milk, garlic, salt and pepper in sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender. Add the eggs being careful not to let them cook in the hot sauce. It'll look kind of runny and lame - not like a real creamy, rich, non-Whole 30 bechamel sauce at all. But don't worry - the eggs somehow magically make it puff up into deliciousness.

Take out your half roasted veggies and pour the cauliflower bechamel over them. Pop back in the oven for another 25 minutes. You're done!

You could use pretty much any root vegetables for the roasting, I just had this on hand from my farm box and trip to the market. You might also want to add some greens like kale or swiss chard, just be careful to discard some of the water that will be released as they cook or you'll get a watery mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment